Home Comfort Systems
Provided by Mitsubishi Electric
Even cold air contains some heat, and with Mitsubishi Electric's renewable heat pump technology, this heat can be captured and transferred into a home by means of a circulating refrigerant that is alternately expanded and compressed. But to keep this process going when the temperature falls below freezing, Mitsubishi Electric developed an original refrigerant circulation system called a Flash Injection Circuit. This circuit ensures a larger volume refrigerant is flowing, even in sub-zero temperatures, making heat pumps a viable option in some of the world's cold regions.
The City Multi system provides individual and personalized comfort by precisely controlling the temperature to match the needs of each zone. The capacity of the indoor unit is dynamically adjusted in real time, thus improving efficiency by allocating the energy to meet the ever-changing zone load. Regardless of location – interior or perimeter, eastern or western exposures – each zone gets only the cooling or heating that’s needed.
VRF Technology allows the City Multi system to circulate only as much refrigerant as needed for heat transfer to each indoor unit through two small diameter refrigerant pipes. This produces vast energy and space savings over water systems as there is no refrigerant-to-water heat loss, which means the compressor can be maintained at a higher suction pressure for more efficient operation. VRF Technology also allows each indoor zone to operate individually, allowing you to precisely adjust the environment in each one separately.
Provided by Dettson Industries
Similarly to other home comfort technology, Dettson offers new technology and innovation in their advanced right-sized home comfort equipment. Through research and development with input from the Canadian building industry, the company has led the industry in the development of right-sized home comfort equipment to meet the needs of the tighter, more efficient homes such as Net Zero Homes. No need to waste money blasting the furnace with short cycles when the Dettson Alizé and Chinook systems offer stable comfort through the home, modulating the system to meet the demands of the home. Additionally, with high wall supplies, your home has an improved flow of air circulation, without the need to set back the thermostat. The home will maintain its temperature while optimizing the energy used.
Dual-energy systems with a heat pump have special features. The right-sized heat pump can generally provide comfortable heat without the aid of another energy source until its balance point temperature is reached. Here is how a dual-energy system with an air-air heat pump normally operates.
- When the outdoor temperature is above the balance point, the heat pump alone is sufficient for heating;
- When the outdoor temperature drops to the balance point or lower, the heat pump is assisted by the other energy source;
- When the outdoor temperature falls below the switchover temperature, the heat pump stops operating and the auxiliary energy source takes over all heating.
By integrating the Alizé variable speed outdoor condensing unit with the Chinook modulating gas furnace and the proprietary communicating thermostat, Dettson developed the Right-Sized System®. This system provides homeowners with unequalled comfort that until now has not been available. Dettson is the first manufacturer in North America to offer the Right-Sized System® designed for today’s tighter, well insulated and more energy efficient homes. High performance homes require a central system with longer operation cycle times rather than the short cycling typical of most HVAC equipment. The new building codes coupling with volunteer programs such as Energy Star for New Homes, HERS, R2000 and LEED for Homes result in energy efficient homes that allow much less heat loss during winter and less heat gain during summer. By working with builders and third party labs, Dettson developed the Right-Sized System which offers less indoor temperature variation and greater humidity control. Because the central system is designed for longer run times with lower airflows it is also much quieter than typical systems.
Advantages of this technology:
- Indoor comfort is improved for both heating and air conditioning because the operation cycles of the system are longer;
- Because of the longer cycles, the system uses lower cfm of between 150 and 350 cfm instead of the traditional 1000 cfm or greater;
- This approach, in conjunction with the Dettson thermostat control, also enables greater dehumidification control;
- The ECM motor and low fan speed results in a very quiet unit when functioning: 49dB for 1 ton unit, 56dB for 2 tons and saves you money
- The outdoor unit footprint is decreased by the “side discharge” design of the condenser since real estate for outdoor units in Urban settings is a commodity
Dettson has designed a revolutionary product with the Chinook Compact gas furnace which offers inputs from 15,000 to 120,000 BTU/h for both the new construction and replacement market.
The Chinook gas furnace family offers the smallest footprint of the industry as well as other benefits:
- A perfect fit for various home types: Net Zero single family, multi-family, condos and apartments
- Chinook Compact 15,000 BTU (seen on the picture) 10″ wide and 23″ high (the furnace is the size of a suitcase): 50 to 400 CFM (key to sizing a Net Zero home appropriately); mainly for apartments as well as homes from 500 to 1,500 square feet
- Chinook 15,000 to 45,000 BTU with dimensions of 13,5” wide and 33,5” high: 400 to 800 CFM (key to sizing a Net Zero home appropriately); for homes between 1,500 to 3,000 square feet
- The smallest unit family for central gas heating which also offers up to 120,000 BTU
- Longer operation cycles
- Low air flow rate for thermal comfort and quieter operation
- Developed in collaboration with gas utilities in both Canada and the USA
As loads in High Performance homes decrease, volume of conditioned air required drops, thus traditional ducted systems’ performance declines.
With the builders’ requirements in mind as well as the building science community’s input, Dettson Industries is now offering the Right Sized System® in combination to the Smart Duct System, since just like equipment, ducts need to be sized appropriately.
The right airflow is as important in considering the load per room as the BTUs. The Smart Duct System provides a leakage of 5% or less when properly assembled. The vision behind this system is called HVAC in a box, allowing the builder to eliminate bulkheads while optimizing floor plan designs.
Benefits for the homeowner:
- Better air mix across the home through better distribution (no cold or hot rooms)
- System designed for central HVAC efficacy for lower energy consumption
- Quieter environment in each room
- Healthier home including humidity management
- 35 dB and less at the diffusor
Provided by Lennox
A brand that North America has come to trust, Lennox offers some of the most efficient and quietest heat pumps available.
The Dave Lennox Signature Collection offer a variety of products that meet the needs of today's buyers. One of these products is their newest addition - the XP25 heat pump that uses revolutionary Precise Comfort® technology to maintain an ideal temperature and perfect humidity under any conditions, all while saving you hundreds of dollars in energy costs. It is simply the most advanced, most capable heat pump ever created.
- Energy Star qualified which means the heat pump meets or exceeds guidelines for energy efficiency.
- Efficiency rating of up to 23.50 SEER / 10.20 HSPF can save you hundreds of dollars each year, compared to a standard heat pump.
- Variable–capacity, inverter controlled operation works much like the cruise control system of high performance automobiles, automatically making adjustments as necessary.
- Cooling capacity automatically adjusts up or down, based upon cooling demand, to use only the precise amount of energy needed to maintain temperature within 0.5 degrees of your thermostat setpoint.
Partnered with the Dave Lennox Heat Pump, the SLP98V gas variable furnace, Lennox offers a perfect marriage of home comfort.
- The SLP98V uses exclusive Precise Comfort® technology to significantly reduce your heating costs.
- Efficiency rating of up to 98.7% AFUE can save you over $800 dollars each year, compared to standard furnaces.
- Variable-capacity operation works much like the cruise control system of high-performance automobiles, automatically making adjustments as necessary to allow maximum fuel efficiency.
- Variable-speed motor provides a quiet and consistent flow of air for an ideal balance of temperature and humidity in your home.
- SilentComfort™ technology combines advanced engineering with sound-absorbing materials to deliver the ultimate in quiet performance.
- Dual-fuel capability—can be combined with an electric heat pump to enhance comfort and fuel efficiency by alternating between electric and gas heat, optimizing energy use and minimizing heating costs.